This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Become a certified lifeguard through Weymouth Recreation.
- To participate, candidates must:
- Be 15 years old on or before the last class.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface, and swim 20 yards on your back keeping both hands on the brick and keeping ones face above the water. Candidates may not swim the distance under water. Place the object on the side of the pool and exit the water without using a ladder or ramp.
- Materials Needed:
- Participants must obtain their own copy of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Manual, which is available in e-book format. Participants can print it out or view it on a laptop or tablet during the class. Our facility will have Wifi to log into.
- NOTE: Weymouth Recreation's minimum age to be employed as a Lifeguard is 16.