Esker Adventure Program
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Esker Adventure Programs (not included in the licensed Camp) will provide your child with unique opportunities to take part in activities that will allow them to be outside, connect with nature, challenge themselves physically and mentally, and offer a reprieve from technology. Each option offers kids a natural setting to engage in outdoor activities such as biking, fishing, tubing, canoeing, kayaking and more.
Adventure Program Activities
- Fishing - Trips to local fishing holes in Abington, Braintree, Norwell and Weymouth. Transportation, bait and fishing gear is included.
- Biking - Great opportunity and adventures in this program. Children will ride at Wompatuck State Park. Transportation and bikes are provided. Helmets are mandatory and must be supplied by participants.
- Tubing - Tubing on the Back River is a great way to spend the summer. Kids will enjoy their summer days lounging and playing in the water, seeing the sights of the Back River while floating the tidal currents. Shore exploration, is the inevitable along the way. Kids MUST be competent swimmers and be able to swim comfortably over their heads. Life jackets will be required by all.
- Geo Hiking - Croc Hunter for the terrestrial among us. No boating but a lot of exploring the very interesting woods, parks and trails throughout GEP, Wompatuck State Park, Ames Knoll and Turkey Hill. Emphasis will be on orienteering, hiking using GPS maps and compasses to explore and discover nature’s wonders.
- Canoeing/Kayaking - Develop basic skills and safety techniques; learn self and team rescues, trip planning and powering techniques. All classes will take advantage of any opportunity to explore the park but all will venture out to wherever the water “is” – both salt and fresh. Advanced classes may venture out further into area ponds and rivers, Quincy Bay, Hingham Harbor, Cohasset Harbor or Scituate. Canoeing participants will learn self and team rescues, practice boat swamping/recovery and the basic strokes- J, sweep, pull and back. Variations: Single, Tandem and Sit-ins.
Adventure Program New Structure
Similar to last year, Adventure Program will look a little different from the past. It will be a general group registration. That group will then partake in a couple of the available activities each day. This will give participants the opportunity to experience a variety of adventures. The staff will plan the activities based on equipment, weather, tides, staffing and the participants interests. There will always be more than one option (usually one that travels and one that will stay in the park). Participants will need to be prepared for all adventures. Participants will help prepare equipment and learn the importance of caring for said equipment. Participants who adventure out of the park will be transported via school bus and the equipment will be transported by staff.
- Deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE
- Weymouth Recreation requires an up to date health record to be submitted prior to a child attending our summer program. This is for the health and safety of participants and staff and required by the Weymouth Health Department.
- No child will be allowed without a health record on file under any circumstance.
- A Weymouth Recreation t-shirt and photo I.D. are required.
- **Important: Adventure Program is not included in the licensed camp and vouchers cannot be used for this program**